Title: It's Not Supposed To Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
Author: Lysa Terkeurst
Pages: 256 pages
Published: November 13th 2018 by Thomas Nelson
GoodReads Description: "New York Times bestselling author Lysa TerKeurst unveils her heart amid shattering circumstances and shows readers how to live assured when life doesn't turn out like they expected.
What do you do when God’s timing seems questionable, His lack of intervention hurtful, and His promises doubtful?
Life often looks so very different than we hoped or expected. Some events may simply catch us off guard for a moment, but others shatter us completely. We feel disappointed and disillusioned, and we quietly start to wonder about the reality of God’s goodness.
Lysa TerKeurst understands this deeply. But she's also discovered that our disappointments can be the divine appointments our souls need to radically encounter God. In It's Not Supposed to Be This Way, Lysa invites us into her own journey of faith and, with grit, vulnerability, and honest humor, helps us to:
* Stop being pulled into the anxiety of disappointment by discovering how to better process unmet expectations and other painful situations.
* Train ourselves to recognize the three strategies of the enemy so we can stand strong and persevere through unsettling relationships and uncertain outcomes.
* Discover the secret of being steadfast and not panicking when God actually does give us more than we can handle.
* Shift our suspicion that God is cruel or unfair to the biblical assurance that God is protecting and preparing us.
* Know how to encourage a friend and help her navigate hard realities with real help from God's truth."
Lysa TerKeurst absolutely could not have written this book if her husband had not had an affair. It would have fallen flat and been another book of platitudes from someone who just doesn't understand. But she does understand - at least in part. Her situation may be very different than mine, but she understands the emotional beating so many of us are going through. She understands when stuff falls apart through circumstances so unexpected you feel robbed.
I felt for Lysa and I felt like she felt for me. And she has encouraged me and this book helped me to work through a lot of personal things.
I will read it again soon and I highly recommend it for women in tough times.
Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review!