Book Review: Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay & David Funk


139836
Title: Teaching With Love and Logic 
Author: Jim Fay & David Funk
Pages: 399 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Love & Logic Press (first published January 1st 1995)
Source: School Library
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/2xWByut

GoodReads Description: "'Love and Logic' is a method of working with students which was developed by educational expert Jim Fay, and child psychiatrist Foster W.Cline, M.D. The 'Love and Logic' techniques: Put teachers back in control of the classroomResult in students who are internalized in their discipline rather than dependent upon external controlsRaise the level of student responsibilityTeach students to think for themselvesPrepare students to function effectively in a world filled with temptations, decisions, and consequencesReturn a teacher's joy of teaching!"


I finished this book and instantly re-read it!  I took pages and pages of notes!  I made reference sheets for my classroom!  I loved SO MUCH about this book!

I cannot stand having to stop my lesson to mark points and flip cards and do sticker charts!  I feel like there's already not enough time to get everything I need to cover, covered!  I don't want to waste time (and money!) with little cheesy prizes and convoluted money systems.  It is just not my thing!  Do you feel the same?  Some teachers may enjoy this kind of thing and maybe it works for them?  Not sure, but this is what works for me!

This book is the Holy Grail of teacher books!  It is so simple and straightforward!  And oftentimes simple is best!  There are some things I don't necessarily agree would work at my school in particular - or with my grade level, but on the whole the core values and principles in this book are spot on!

I personally do recovery within my classroom.  This book also does not touch much on the fact that you have many less behavioral problems if your lessons are ENGAGING and ACTIVE and FUN wherever possible!  Whole Brain Teaching is an excellent resource for that (though I don't do all of their reward systems, etc.  Just their teaching methods).  And Pinterest is a great resource for hands-on projects.  I also use brain breaks!!

MY RATING: 5 teaching superpower stars!

YOU need this book if you are an educator!!

Follow me for more reviews!!

Comments