10 Reasons I Love Thrillers

This week's Top Ten Tuesday from That Artsy Reader Girl is 10 Reasons Why You Love...
So mine is: 
10 Reasons I Love Thrillers!!

1.  The Characters - The characters in most thrillers are tormented souls.  Their lives have not gone the way that planned... and they continue not to do so throughout the story.  How much can I relate to that? And yet!  And yet!  They demonstrate hordes of perseverance and resilience in the face of these troubles.  Sometimes they are clawing for their lives by the end!  And maybe sometimes they are unsuccessful, but they always give it the old college try.
Horror | OldMoviesaregreat | Page 2

2. Hard Lives - Not to mention their lives are often harder than mine - which makes me feel better.  I know the fluffy feel-good novels can cheer you up, but at the end when the happily ever after comes, you're still stuck in your regular old not always happy life.  In contrast, when I close a thriller I can think to myself - well, there ya go, at least I don't have an ax murderer stalking me, could be worse!
It's a Hard Knock Life for Us - Motivational.net

3. Relatable and Realistic - Speaking of these characters and their hard-knock lives... this and the imperfection of their stories, love lives, money situations, mental health situations, etc. make Thrillers uniquely realistic and relatable.  They deal with hard issues and the dark side of life.  I cannot stand for things to be sugar coated.  Thrillers are definitely not.

4.  Anti-heroes - Anti-heroes are my FAVORITE type of character.  Harry Hole (don't giggle that's his name! And it's pronounced Hoo-leh) from Jo Nesbo's novels is a perfect example.  He is a terrible person in most ways, but he's still the hero.  Giving us hope that we can all be the heroes of our own stories, even though we suck sometimes.
Thats Deep GIFs | Tenor

5.  Escapism - I read to escape.  To avoid my housework.  To avoid my problems.  To travel where I otherwise could not.  Nothing can quite help you practice escapism like a thriller!  In a good thriller, you lose hold of your life.  You are so deeply captivated and hooked by the mind numbing, page flipping, terrifying story unfolding that you may forget where you are and what you are supposed to be doing. Not to mention, most of the time, you're entertained from start to finish.  Thrillers enthrall and transport me with their urgency.
Books... the ultimate magic portal. From fairyuniverse on Tumblr ...

6.  The Endings - The endings (USUALLY) are highly satisfying.  The guy definitely doesn't always get the girl, but the mystery is solved!  ...Again, usually. Even when the mystery isn't solved there is always some kind of BIG ending or - better yet - big TWIST!  That leave me feeling satisfied when the book ends.

7.  English authors - I am an anglophile and there are a lot of English authors in the genre.  They write with a British tone and create a British setting that at least minutely satisfies my longing to travel to the UK.
25 Signs You're An Anglophile

8.  Female authors - I know there's probably just as many female romance writers and historical fiction writers and literary fiction writers... or maybe not? I couldn't tell you.  But there are a lot of female mystery/thriller writers.  So another point for thrillers!

9.  Female MCs - Tons of female main characters (not to mention villains).  AGAIN, I know that there are female main characters in romance, historical fiction, etc.  BUT none of those MCs are quite as badass as the female main characters in a thriller!  We are talkin' burn your house down, stalk you, stab you, kill your new girlfriend, save the day, find the missing child,  escape the bad guys, rock the police badge, do what she's gotta kind of women! 
Girlpower GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10. Heartbreak - It may not be normal, but I enjoy a good tragedy.  Sad books, sad movies, sad songs... (I swear I'm a happy person!).  I want my books to break my heart over and over again.  I want to FEEL something.  I want a wide range of emotion! Thrillers do that for me.  They make my heart beat faster, they make me dread and cry and celebrate.  But mostly they break my heart.  They "kill my darlings"!  They rip my heart right out of my chest and toss it to the dogs.
BoostMyBio and #PitchWars - Kyra

Welp, that's it!! And yes, I realize I stretched "characters" out into like 4 different categories - so sue me! 😂. This is harder than I thought it would be!  Should have gone with 10 reasons why I love Stephen King, lol.

Share your TTT in the comments below and I'll give it a visit, too. ;) Thanks for stopping by for...

blog | gr | pinterest | bloglovin

PS!! If you love thrillers too please come back and participate in my blog link-up every week on Thursdays - THRILLING THURSDAY!! All you have to do is link up a book review :) Click link below.
THRILLING THURSDAY

Comments

  1. Yeah, thrillers can be a ton of fun to read for sure.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many psychological thrillers are totally far-fetched, but I get what you mean when you say they're realistic and relatable. Characters in this genre are usually more down-t0-earth and they're always dealing with tough problems. We can all relate to that to some degree.

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get what you're saying about some thrillers being far-fetched. But I guess I just meant the characters and their lives are realistic, as in less-than-perfect, like you said. Thanks for stopping by - I'll check out your TTT too :)

      Delete
  3. If you've made your way here to my list, check out this TTT while you're at it!!: http://www.blogginboutbooks.com/2020/05/ttt-how-do-i-love-thee-goodreads-let-me.html
    Pure genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thrillers too! There's a lot of local thriller authors where I live in the UK, but for some reason I haven't read any of their books. Maybe I should work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great reasons to love thrillers. I like to read them every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love thrillers, too. It has been a while since I read one and I am way overdue. I enjoy anti-heroes.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2020/05/top-ten-tuesday-ten-reasons-why-i-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anti-heroes are my favorite kind of heroes :)
      Thrillers are definitely a great way to get out of a book slump!

      Delete
  7. This is one of my favorite lists so far. I totally agree on so many of these points, especially #2. I was actually just talking about this the other day and why I thought this was a great genre for the current times. (And #7 is...a really good point I hadn't thought of before, interesting!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RS! Glad I'm not alone in finding comfort from the troubles of fictional characters 😂

      Delete
  8. There is truly something about British authors! I'll have to look up some and give their horror works a try! Can you recommend some Brit horror authors? Thank you and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not all necessarily horror, but thrillers for sure: Ruth Rendell, Mark Edwards, C.J. Tudor, Diane Setterfield, Ruth Ware, Melanie Golding, Teresa Driscoll...

      If you are interested in mysteries too, there are MANY more.

      Delete
  9. Thanks everyone for stopping by the blog - I hope you'll come and join in my link up tomorrow - Thrilling Thursday!!

    Here's the link: https://mamaneedsabook.blogspot.com/2020/05/thrilling-thursday-thrilling-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list. Thrillers are a lot of fun to read!!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment