Book Review: The Lost Man by Jane Harper


39863488. sy475
Title: The Lost Man
Author: Jane Harper
Pages: 340 pages
Published February 5th 2019 by Flatiron Books (first published October 23rd 2018)
Source: Local Library - Library Haul 4/17/20
Amazon link: https://amzn.to/2VQszUX

GoodReads Description: "Two brothers meet at the border of their vast cattle properties under the unrelenting sun of outback Queensland, in this stunning new standalone novel from New York Times bestseller Jane Harper

They are at the stockman’s grave, a landmark so old, no one can remember who is buried there. But today, the scant shadow it casts was the last hope for their middle brother, Cameron. The Bright family’s quiet existence is thrown into grief and anguish. Something had been troubling Cameron. Did he lose hope and walk to his death? Because if he didn’t, the isolation of the outback leaves few suspects…

Dark, suspenseful, and deeply atmospheric, The Lost Man is the highly anticipated next book from the bestselling and award-winning Jane Harper, author of The Dry and Force of Nature."

The setting of this story painted such a picture, I feel like I've been to the Outback a little! I love when a book transports you and this one took us to a desolate and treacherous landscape where life is a struggle.  And now, Cameron Bright is dead, puzzlingly dying of exposure in a way that doesn't quite add up. His brother, Nathan, will keep scratching that itch until he gets all the answers and they are a lot more than he's bargained for.

I've decided that Jane Harper likes brooding men. Aaron Falk seemed broody to me and now, Nathan.
MRW my crush says she likes dark, brooding, bad boys. - GIF on Imgur
But Nathan also pines - and I love me a man who pines! Haha. We are talking Jay Gatsby-level pining, friends! And Gatsby is my favorite.
The Office Depression GIF | GfycatAwards Shows
All this to say, I loved Nathan and his heartbreaking story and that's what kept me hooked in this slow-burning book. Usually I hate a slow-burn. I want high-speed, rip the bandaid off again and again, heart-pounding thrillers! But the writing in this book was so well done and I cared about the people so much, that it just worked!

MY RATING:
Story: 4
Characters: 4
Overall: 4 slow-burning, character driven stars!

Comments