Blogging Challenge: Favorite Short Stories and Novellas

This week's blogging challenge at Long & Short Reviews.

Favorite Short Stories & Novellas
I didn't think I'd have anything to write for this one, but was surprised to find quite a few once I started going through my "Read" section of GoodReads.  These are my favorites: 
133268260255808217236899492. sx318 58345. sy475

Secret Window, Secret Garden by Stephen King
This is actually one of my favorite books of all time.  I love it beyond words and have read it multiple times.

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn
This novella was creepy good!

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
I don't know why I love this story so much, but I do.  I read it in school and in college and it always stuck with me.

The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe
Another one I read in school and actually wrote a sequel to once for an assignment.  

The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Read this in college and loved it.  I remember liking the setting and finding it heartbreaking.


Novellas on my TBR
I actually have a lot of books that are considered "novellas" on my TBR, which is somewhat surprising and inspires me to tackle some of them actually!  Especially since many of them are classics which I am trying to read more of...  Here's a few: 

46015758. sy475 8972398881315299812948. sy475

If It Bleeds by Stephen King (his newest book of stories)
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Home by Toni Morrison
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James 


Have you read some of these? What did you think?  What is your favorite novella?
blog | gr | pinterest | bloglovin

Comments

  1. I've read most of these (except the newest King book and THE YELLOW WALLPAPER which was recommended by someone else, so I clearly need to read it). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read either of those King books... can not wait! I think I read The Yellow Wallpaper years ago (but obviously need to re-read it), and I want to check out The Grownup as well. On your TBR list, I loved The Turn of the Screw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I downloaded The Yellow Wallpaper after an earlier rec and this has definitely cemented my desire to read it. Stephen King is a great choice, too. I haven't read any of your TBR selections, though, so sadly I can't comment on those.

    My selections are here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone else mentioned The Yellow Wallpaper this week as well. It really should be made into a short film sometime.

    My <a href="https://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-favourite-poems-and-short-stories-from-black-writers/”>post</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good list. I've been meaning to check out the latest Stephen King book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I forgot about Tell-Tale Heart when I mentioned Poe in my post on the subject. That was another I loved too.
    I need to chase up The Yellow Wallpaper. That's been mentioned a few times as a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed The Tell-Tale Heart by Poe, who was such a masterful storyteller.

    I didn't realize that Breakfast At Tiffany's was a novella.

    Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast at Tiffany's is a novella and apparently it is very different from the movie - I heard that Capote did not like the adaption.

      Delete
    2. Interesting. I love those trivia bits.

      Delete
  8. Ah yes, I forgot The Turn of the Screw. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment