Books by Authors of Color to Add to Your TBR


Feeling inspired by A Book and A Cup.  No matter what your political leanings and opinions, everything going on right now is tragic.  And what we all need is connection and empathy and love.  

So I've compiled a list of books by authors of color to add to your TBR.  I've either read these or they're on the top of my TBR as well.  

103160752892857. sx318 sy475 4678738354719. sy475 869208. sy475
23927237415

Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Roots by Alex Haley
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
The Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams

215575. sy475 6093141161349
3472866733590210. sy475 38819868. sy475 29584452. sy475 36586697

blog | gr | pinterest | bloglovin

Comments

  1. Great topic for these sad, sad times! I've read THE COLOR PURPLE and BELOVED, but it's been a long time for both of them. Might be time for a re-read.

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I think classics can always be re-read and we will continue to get more out of them. I'm reading Kindred right now which was the first sci-fi (time travel) book by an African American and it is pretty awesome so far!

      Delete
  2. I've read The Colour Purple and some of Maya Angelou's books. I guess it's time I should add some more to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like those classics, you'd probably like Beloved by Toni Morrison!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this list. It is a time when we need to develop and show more love and understanding. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, thank you for stopping by, Margy.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. The audiobook is read by Maya and she has the most comforting, beautiful voice ever. I had a hard time with Things Fall Apart... I think mainly because I connect more and am more invested in female protagonists. Americanah, Homegoing, The Color of Water, and Born A Crime are also great books by POC. I have had Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Roots on my TBR... hoping to get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, friend!

    As far as I know, Uncle Tom's Cabin was written by a white woman, Harriet Beecher Stowe-- just so you're aware! I'd also encourage you to consider using "Black" instead of "POC" when it's applicable. The term "POC" includes anyone who is non-white and while sometimes that language is helpful, at times like this it can flatten our unique experiences.

    I'm sure this wasn't your intention at all, but I thought I'd kindly make the suggestion as something to think about c:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment