First Line Friday: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Today I am reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.


This is one of those books that has been on my TBR since I knew what a TBR was, and today I am picking it up.  After taking a spectacularly long time to read my last book, I was looking for something short and snappy and I'm hoping this will do the trick.

GoodReads Description: Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is the original title of a novella written by the famous Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson that was first published in 1886. The work is commonly known today as The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, or simply Jekyll & Hyde. It is about a London lawyer named John Gabriel Utterson who investigates strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the evil Edward Hyde.


Each Friday, Reading Is My SuperPower and Rose City Reader host first line link ups. And My Head is Full of Books hosts the Friday56. So as a part of those link-ups I will be sharing the first lines and a line from page 56 from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

 


First Line: 

"Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable."

From page 56: 


"This last was not so easy of an accomplishment; for Mr. Hyde had numbered few familiars - even the master of the servant maid and only seen him twice; his family could nowhere be traced; he had never been photographed; and the few who could describe him differed widely, as common observers will. Only on one point were they agreed; and that was the haunting sense of unexpressed deformity with which the fugitive impressed his beholders."


What book are you currently reading? Have you read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?



Comments

  1. I have not read this one but had to read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in high school (they might be the same book and I am remembering the title wrong, LOL!). I hope you enjoy it! Cindy https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2024/01/first-line-friday-114-chicken-about-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this one but never finished it. Maybe I'll give it another try, eventually.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say I am going to read this every fall around Halloween time and it hasn't happened yet. It's been on my TBR for a very long time too. I am glad you are finally getting to it, at least! I do want to read a classic or two this year and maybe a short one like this would be good. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't read horror easily because my imagination is so vivid, I actually get scares. I'll be interested to see how this one goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Holiday Stand-In by Kortney Keisel. It's really cute so far!
    "I've never been in this position where doing the right thing feels wrong."
    I hope you have a great weekend full of fun reading. 🙂📚

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment