The Backlist Reader Challenge 2024



"Is your TBR list a mile long?
Are your unread books filling your shelves and piling up on the floor?
Then The Backlist Reader Challenge is for you!"
 - The Bookwyrm's Hoad

BEYOND excited about this challenge!  I AM participating in other book challenges in 2024 (the Genre Quest at my local library, the Library Love Challenge, the annual GoodReads Reading Challenge and still plugging away at the Classics Club Challenge), but mainly my goal lately has been to read books that I have been meaning to read anyway and this challenge will help with just that!  

How it works: Read any books that were published before 2023 and have been hanging out on your TBR list collecting dust!

Then we get to link up our reviews as we go!  Hopefully supporting each other and cheering each other on!  

I currently have over 1,000 books on my TBR.  So my initial plan is to just start reading from the beginning of my TBR (oldest), then I decided to not include classics because those are part of my Classic Club Challenge... we'll see if I stick to that idea!  Let's be honest I can *technically* count any of my Classic Club Challenge books for this Backlist Challenge as well.  BUT I actually want to knock out some of my TBR... and I can only read so many classics in a row (they do typically move somewhat slower).  Then I started adding books from my TBR and realized wow, I really added a lot of books on the same subject matter in a row - do I really want to read 10 books about travel and then 10 books on Jane Austen? 

(No, that's not Joe Biden.)

Anyways, so now on to Plan... C? Are we really on the 3rd plan already? Wait, no, 4th! Plan D... Oh my, this isn't boding well for my commitment to my New Year's Resolutions.

I'm just going to pick out books from my TBR!  Yes, much better.  A mixture that hopefully helps me stick to Plan D.

So as of right now, here are the first 20 books on that list (probably not in order, let's be honest I'm just not ready for that type of commitment yet):

1. Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay
2. In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar
3. Counted with the Stars by Connilyn Cossette
4. Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
5. True Crime Story by Joseph Knox
6. Vanishing Edge by Claire Kells
7. Last Seen Alive by Claire Douglas
8. Cackle by Rachel Harrison
9. Saudade by Katherine Vaz
10. Making Sense Out of Suffering by Peter Kreeft
11. A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
12. The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix
13. Reveal the Gift by Lisa Cotter
14. How Christianity Saved Civilization by Mike Aquilina
15. The Mindful Catholic by Gregory Bottaro
16. The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz
17. The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix
18. Bloodline by Jess Lourey
19. Too Good to Be True by Carola Loverling
20. Any Book by Stephen King


What reading challenges are you doing in 2024??


Comments