Coffee & Books: May 2020


Isn't that picture just the best??? Summer & beautiful weather - what better way to spend it than outside on a blanket with a good book & an iced coffee??? Head outside, breathe in the fresh air, and remember reading's not canceled! Coffee's not canceled! 

This morning I sat outside with my coffee and my kids and we watched a bunch of little birds take flight for the first time.  We had 2 birds' nests in our rosebushes out back and today our little friends took off for the first time.  We also have a resident bunny we got to watch hop across the yard.  I'm tellin' ya - take your reading outside, you won't regret it.  And let's talk books! :)

34275222. sy475 Force of Nature by Jane Harper
Rating: 3 stars
Bit of a disappointment for me, but it could just be because I went in with such high expectations.  Technically there was nothing really wrong with it... *shrug*
Need a book? Grab The Dry or The Lost Man by Jane Harper

51478024. sy475 The Apartment by K.L. Slater
Rating: 4 stars
Loved the vivid setting and British feel of this book!  Super quick read.  Loved the psychological details about the Little Albert study. ($0 on Kindle Unlimited)
Need a book? Grab this one if you like a British psychological thriller!

49127515. sy475 Don't Look For Me by Wendy Walker
Rating: 4 stars
Great connection with characters.  Truly heart-breaking back story (my favorite kind).  
Need a book?  Grab this one if you like a heart-wrenching thriller!

51477868. sy475 After All I've Done by Mina Hardy
Rating: 5 stars
Drama, drama, drama!! Lost memory, husband cheating with best friend, what else could go wrong? Oh, plenty! Crazy ending!
Need a book? Grab this one if you like a little dysfunction with your thrill!

17727101Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids by Chris Biffle
Rating: 4 stars
This book is the missing link with Love & Logic teaching.  I don't implement all the behavior systems because they don't go with L&L, but the beginning of this book and its lessons on teaching engaging lessons are gold.  Love & Logic is an amazing set of core values for a teacher and excellent for classroom management, but while L&L stresses relationship (which is most important, I believe!) this book stresses engaging lessons geared toward how children's brains work!  I don't care how much the students in your class love you - they still don't want to be bored!  And that's what I got out of this book - tips on how to teach lessons in a format that help kids retain and how to be playful in the classroom! ($0 on Kindle Unlimited)
Need a book? Grab this one if you're a teacher... But grab Teaching with Love & Logic too ;)

39863488. sy475 The Lost Man by Jane Harper
Rating: 4 stars
Amazing and unique setting.  Slow-burning mystery done right!
Need a book? Grab this one for a trip to the Outback! And a slow-burning mystery heavy on character development.

51192924. sy475 The Sister-in-Law by Sue Watson
Rating: 3.5 stars
Hate-able characters, for sure!  But done well.  Lots of drama... not too much thrill.
Need a book?  Grab this one if you're a fan of Liane Moriarty-style books. ($0 on Kindle Unlimited)

50001299. sx318 sy475 Where the Lost Wander by Amy Harmon
Rating: 5 stars
Beautiful book that did a wonderful and historically accurate job of depicting the hardship of the time period.  Based on the author's husband's genealogy and family history!! ($0 on Kindle Unlimited)
Need a book? Grab this one if you're looking for a lovely historical romance!

30962267The Ghost Writer by Alessandra Torre
Rating: 5 stars
Love, loved this!! Book about a dying author with a troubled past!  Was like a twist between Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.... kind of.  Also just totally original and amazing!  I LOVED it! ($0 on Kindle Unlimited)
Need a book?  Grab this one!! If you like emotional and mysterious books about authors/writing.
Full review to come | Amazon Link

42379030. sy475 51664923. sy475

 

 



Pretty Tricky - The Sneaky Ways Plants Survive50544177. sx318 Wilma Rudolph





Comments

  1. The title of your blog says it all! i must always have a book going, usually just one at a time. Needless to say I can't wait til my library reopens. I'm hungry for some new stuff ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Linda! Thanks for stopping by - hope your library opens soon! Have you checked into their digital lending?

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you about Jane Harper's 2 books! Force of Nature was okay, if a bit forgettable, but I loved The Lost Man. It was such vivid setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tina! I almost didn't read The Lost Man after feeling a bit let down by Force of Nature, but I'm so glad I did! The setting really made the book exceptional.

      Delete
  3. I will have to look for the Whole Brain teaching, thanks for the info! I'm a special ed teacher and try to use a very Love & Logic/ Attachment centered approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's free on Kindle Unlimited right now and they also have a website: wholebrainteaching.com
      There is a lot of classroom management technique that I basically ignore since I prefer L&L, but I believe their teaching on engaging lessons using small chunks of instruction, movement, etc. helps kids retain and have fun :). It's definitely worth the read.

      Delete
  4. I love Rescue by Lauren Daigle!!
    Where the Lost Wander sounds like the kind of book I love!

    Here are my April reads, if interested: https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2020/05/april-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Daigle is amazing :) and Where the Lost Wander was as well!
      I'll check out your post!

      Delete
  5. I love James Arthur's voice. I've been a fan of his forever. ❤️
    I'll have to check out some of the books you've been reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is amazing, I agree! Thank you - hope you enjoy some of them!

      Delete
  6. You are so right about reading outside (or close to it). It's still another rainy day here, but I like reading in my chair by the front window so I can watch the bird feeders :) A bird has always got to eat, right? ;) Thanks for sharing and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becki! We have a little bird feeder too. :) A window is a great idea, too for days like today when it is rainy!

      Delete

Post a Comment